The TAMRON 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (Model B008) is quite a controversial lens. I just had to get one to find out for myself what this lens is all about. Follow my blog as I use this lens on a daily basis and discover for yourself if this lens is indeed a diamond in the rough, or if it simply just another average, try to do it all, kit level lens.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Freshwater Long-armed Shrimp

This is the first of my set of images I will post over the month taken on my trip to Napier at the National Aquarium. This has been the first time I've shot at ISOs over 800 and it has been a bit of a learning experience. The reason for this is that a flash causes way too much reflection in the perspex and glass displays. Because of the lighting in the aquarium most of my shots there were taken at ISO 3200 or ISO 6400. At such high ISO levels color noise is visible on my camera. Oh how I would love one of the more PRO level cameras that can more easily handle high ISO images.

BUT, I must say the Tamron 18-270mm PZD lens really saved the day, because even at ISO 3200, most shots were taken below 1/60sec which means camera shake becomes an issue, but with the brilliant optical stabilization of the lens I could make shots slower than 1/20sec at f-stop levels that at least guaranteed some depth! With another lens I would have had to open the lens to max which not only would have sacrificed depth of field, but would in any case have resulted in more photos lost due to camera shake.

My post processing was mainly focused at improving sharpness and removing some of the color noise in the photos. The image below is of a freshwater long-armed shrimp.

Canon 600D, Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD. Focal length 30mm, Exposure 1/25sec at f4, ISO 3200, Focus auto, VC on, Flash none, Filter none.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | GreenGeeks Review