The TAMRON 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD (Model B008) is quite a controversial lens. I just had to get one to find out for myself what this lens is all about. Follow my blog as I use this lens on a daily basis and discover for yourself if this lens is indeed a diamond in the rough, or if it simply just another average, try to do it all, kit level lens.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Bison Moth

I would never have guessed that I would be describing a moth as furry, but this little critter has a mane like a lion :-) I've tried to identify the specific moth, but to me all NZ moths all looks the same. I suppose someone with a trained eye will tell the difference.

Before I forget again. I've learned some valuable lessons for getting the most out of my macro filter:

  1. Don't focus at infinity. Set the lens to manual and make sure it is at its closest focal distance.
  2. Shoot at an angle. The diopter (macro filter) goes out of focus at the corners and this is pronounced when shooting a flat surface, like shooting something from the top. However, shooting at an angle, like I've done below, hides the focus drop off as normal depth of view.
  3. Shoot manual. With my DIY popup flash diffuser, I can get good lighting at 1/125s at f20 at ISO200. At this f-stop I can make the most of my subject. In bright light I will stop down even further.
  4. Leave the lens's image stabilizing on. It help TONS!
Click to enlarge.

Canon 600D, Tamron 18-270mm f3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD. Focal length 270mm, Exposure 1/125sec at f20, ISO 200, Focus auto, VC on, Flash DIY popup diffuser, Filter +4 macro.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | GreenGeeks Review